Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Update, thank you, prayer requests and praise.

Mom made it through her surgery yesterday with flying colors. The BEST news was that she has NO CANCER in her lymph nodes. That means she doesn't need radiation or chemo and as of right now, she is cancer free! Can I get a "Hallelujah!" :)

The Doctors are hoping to send her home today, but will only do so if her pain is under control. Apparently she had quite a bit of pain in the night and they want to make sure she is more comfortable before letting her leave. She is coming home with some drains in also and has to take it really really slow.

She has a bit of a long recovery ahead of her, which another surgery down the road. Right now she has "extenders" in her chest to stretch out the skin for her new breasts. My aunt had the same thing a few years ago, and it can be quite painful. They are essentially stretching out her skin, tissue and muscle (I think) by adding fluid every couple weeks until she has room for the implants. She was not able to have recontruction. For reconstruction they take tissue from her tummy to make a new chest. My mom doesn't have enough tissue for that (essentially she's too skinny), so the only other option is implants.

Thank you friends and fam for your prayers and offers to help and outpouring of support. It means soooooooo much!

Prayer requests:
For mom- pain will be kept to a minimum, and she will have a smooth transition to home.
For dad- job search
For our church's women's conference this weekend (and that I will be able to share my journey the way God would want me to).

Praise: BFF (and hubby) are adopting a baby!!!! Woo hoo! Can I get another "Hallelujah!"

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Karyn-

We are so happy that surgery went well, and now we will pray for pain control. I had a drain but only on the right side. I didn't like it much. I was always afraid of pulling it out. We will continue to pray for your dad and finding a job.

Is this praise about your friend Summer? We sat by them at the wedding and heard about their good news.

I am praying for you too, that this weekend won't be too much after such a long couple of weeks. I know that God will speak through you to others and will use your experiences for His glory.

What can I do to help you? Will you please let me know?

Kristin