Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To Aspen, who changed everything... Happy Birthday

Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were an hour old I would die for you
This is the miracle of a mother's love
(-Maureen Hawkins)






The day your daddy saw the positive pregnancy test and shouted for me to come look was the day our whole world changed.

You see, we had a deep ache for a child, and God, in His unfathomable grace, gave us you.

Tears freely flow because I still can't believe we are celebrating the birthday of our big 3 year old. For years I never thought I'd have a child to celebrate birthdays with. And then there was you. Thank God there was you.

I had a pregnancy. I have a birth story. I got to experience the joy of nursing. I experienced the phenomenon of being more tired than I ever have been in my whole life, yet being so completely peaceful in my heart. I know what it's like to be a mommy, because of you.




Midnight moonlight
Shining through the curtain lace
Paints a perfect picture
On your perfect face
My sweet Aspen sleeping in my arms
You are the promise I knew God would keep
You are the gift that makes my world complete

And you'll never know how much I love you
But I'll keep telling you my whole life through
Now I believe in miracles
and you're the reason why
So dream on while I sing you
Aspen's lullaby
(-original by Reba McIntyre)





























Baby girl, you will never understand how much your conception and existence has transformed everything we know about ourselves, about each other, about life in general and about the Lord Himself.

We would have waited 100 years for you.


Happy birthday sweetheart.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Crying now....



Happy Mother's Day

Kristin said...

Thank you for sharing all of that. I am so thankful that you have Aspen. She is such a delight and will bring you so much joy like she already has.

Happy Birthday sweet Aspen!! It has been so much fun watching you grow up. -Kuhlman family

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Aspen... I cried with your mom for you and truly understand the blessing you are to her. You are a lucky girl to have as Godly and beautiful of a mom as you have. I love you too sweet girl, I wish I got to see you more.
-Summer

runninggal said...

Can't believe she's 3 either. So glad God gave you Aspen. God couldn't pass up the chance to let someone like you be a mommy. :)

Cathy said...

Hi Aspen!

I know my mama sent you a text message yesterday, but I wanted to say it's fun sharing a birthday with you!

Love,
Lincoln

Yule {b}Log said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday!