Monday, June 2, 2008

Calm my anxious heart


LOVE this book by Linda Dillow. It's all about women and their struggle with, and desperate need for, contentment.


Just a few quotes from the book rolling around in my head today...

"What we are on the inside, what we continually think about, eventually shows in our words, actions, and even on our countenances."

and another quote about perspective...

"Two women peered through prison bars, one saw stars, the other saw mud."

And finally some passages that sum up the entire principle of the book. Although there is controversy at times over The Message and it's accurate translation, I am fond of the way these particular verses are explained.

Philippians 4:8-9 (The Message)

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

LOVE this book, I've read it several times! I've even done a book group with it. Do you know of anything book groupish/Bible Study-ish this summer?