Monday, December 15, 2008

The heart determines behavior



I've been reading a really good book called "Shepherding a Child's Heart," by Tedd Tripp. It was recommended to me at my baby shower by Kelly's cousins... and I'm just getting around to reading it!

You know how they say that the two things in life that teach us more about ourselves than anything else are 1) marriage, or 2) having children? Well, reading this "parenting" book has exposed a lot of wisdom about the condition of the human heart. It touches on the basics of a heart wholly surrendered to Christ, and the subsequent behavior that mirrors His righteousness. It is the quest for righteousness that should drive our children's behavior, and OUR behavior.

Here is a small excerpt from the book,


"The heart determines behavior.

Learn, therefore, to work back from behavior to the heart. Expose heart struggles. Help your children see that they were made for a relationship with God. The thirst of the heart can be satisfied in truly knowing God."

Hmmmmm...does MY OWN behavior reflect a heart that loves the Lord? Do I behave in a way that honors Him? Are my words and actions filled with contentment, tenderness, calmness, joy, quietness, patience, kindness, peace, and love? Or are they laced with discontentment, negativity, anger, agitation, dispair, impatience, rudeness, worry, and hate? Do I fake a "righteous" behavior in public, but behave poorly at home with my children and husband? If I have a behavior problem, I have a heart problem.

Godly attributes cannot be faked. They overflow from a heart that is filled with Him. In order to be filled with Him, I have to know Him. I have to expose my heart struggles. I have to surrender my behavior. I have to seek the ultimate heart doctor and allow Him to heal me.

Luke 6:45
The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.


The words to this song are perfect.

Change my heart oh God,
make it ever true
Change my heart oh God,
may I be like you.

You are the potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me,
this is what I pray.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good stuff to chew on, thanks!

My "Word Verification" word is "blamist" Weird word.