Monday, September 29, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera---1998 to 2008

Kelly and I are celebrating just a small milestone this month...our 10th ANNIVERSARY! I have more to write about that later, but I wanted to share pictures of the amazing gift my family got us.

When Kelly and I were dating, he surprised me with tickets to Phantom of the Opera at the Keller auditorium in Portland. We dressed up, went out to a fancy dinner and drove my dad's nice car (instead of Kelly's no window van). It was an out of the ordinary and very special date for us, and we both LOVED the show.

Fast forward to Labor Day weekend 2008, where we were having lunch with my fam. Kelly had to take Aspen home as she was having an overly tired meltdown. While sitting at the table, I looked down for just a moment. I looked back up to see my parents and sisters holding paper Phantom "masks" over their faces. The tickets were passed to me in a specially made holder designed by my ever-creative sis Jenn. She had even included a seating chart highlighting two seats in the first balcony. We were surprised with a impromptu trip that evening to the Phantom of the Opera, at Keller auditorium. I cried, of course.

We dressed up, went out to a fancy dinner after the show, and drove my dad's nice car! LOL! Of course, this time, childcare for Aspen was necessary, but that too was part of the gift. Our seats were perfect. We were on the end, separated from anyone else by a big pole. I think we enjoyed the show even more, or at least in a different way, than we did 10 years ago. We have a lot more appreciation now for the amazing vocalists. The sets are just incredible, and the actors were stupendous. It was awesome.

So thank you family for such a thoughtful gift!!!

















6 comments:

Lisbun said...

Hi there, I just was doing some random searching of blogs and I thought I'd tell you I lingered to listen to your playlist. I really liked it.
I live in SW Washington so no too far from you.
Have a great day and thanks for sharing.

The Engman family said...

Hey Karyn,
I went and saw the Phantom show in Seattle last weekend, and loved it as well.
So glad you and Kelly had a nice time. Happy anniversary!
Melanie

Steve & Sarabeth said...

I like your new layout and the new picture up top of Aspen. Very cute:)

Jenn B said...

I must say I REALLY enjoyed making the ticket holder and masks! I'm kinda nerdy like that. Love you guys and glad you got to celebrate ten years with a special memory! Are you gonna make me something for my 10 month when it's here? j/k :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't love you two and the commitment to marriage that you represent any more than I do. Your relationship is a true picture of God's love and how He intended it to be in marriage. I am so glad you guys got a chance to truly celebrate your anniversary in a special way. Love you, best friend! - Summer

Vicki said...

What a special night! happy tenth to you both. Ben(2) walked up to the computer and saw Aspen with the dirty face and said "Eeeeeww, yuck" ;). She's such a cutie!